Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sending Daniel Off!

So Wednesday, the 25th of June, finally came. We had waited 41/2 months for this day that seemed so far away, and yet here it was. We started out the day packing, because Daniel had so many visitors the night before, we didn't get it done. It's really hard to fit 2 years of stuff into 2 suitcases. I'm sure when he leaves for Mexico, we'll have to pay that heafty fine for having suitcases that weigh to much. After he was already to go, David gave Daniel a very beautiful blessing and then we had a close family prayer. This is when I started to cry.



We all piled into the truck and headed out, but not before stopping at the Maveric for one last "real Coke".










Daniel couldn't be dropped off at the MTC because it happened to be new Mission Presidents training, so we had to go to a nearby church where they had tents set up for the luggage and nametags. We dropped off his luggage first and then got his nametag (which he couldn't read). It seemed really offical then. He looked like a real missionary.




After he had his name tag on we headed into the church with his sisters clinging to him and his mom savoring every last moment.











Inside was the usual meeting where they sing Called to Serve, and then they show a video of life in the MTC. I'm still crying, only harder now. They tell me that I'm handing my son over to the Lord now and that he will be in very good hands. I believe them, and I'm very proud to there with him, but by the end, we were all crying,(even Dave) and it was so hard to say good by for 2 years. Daniel cried alittle and told everyone he loved them and then he wiped his tears, held his head up high, and headed out the side door. I can still see him walking through that door and then disappering. I am grateful that he decided to go and I know we will be blessed because of this and I'm also grateful that I'm not sending him to Iraq. I can't imagine how all the mothers and wife's do that. I'm sure with time I won't miss him as much I can't wait to hear of his experiences and adventures. And as life goes, I'm sure these two years will go by quickly and he'll be back a better and stronger man because of it. You are in our prayers and thoughts always and we can't wait to see you in 2 years.

3 comments:

Niesha said...

I can't beilive that he would waste his "last" beaverage on a coke! After doing the Lords work...he will learn!

Kylee said...

*wipes tear*

I'm so glad I didn't go. I am pretty positive I couldn't have handled that.

shana said...

Soooo sad, but yet so happy! He will be a great missionary-he is a great person with a great personality! I'm sure the time will go by kind of like being pregnant, fast for everyone else, slow for you guys, then when it's over you forget how long it seemed. When Tony was gone, the first year was the hardest/longest, then second year seemed to fly. He'll be home soon!